Our Crafty Corner of the house!

Our Crafty Corner of the house!

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Poppies Canvas

This is a canvas that I made for my daughter Lindsay she is away at college and I was missing her so I decided to make a piece of art for her dorm room. I was playing around making background paper for some cards using the shaving cream technique... Then I spotted the canvas across my studio. I grabbed it. If you are not familiar with the shaving cream technique.. I will tell you a little about it. Usually I use a foam or paper plate. You get a nice plate full of shaving cream, drip some Re-Inkers in it or alcohol inks, swirl the ink into the shaving cream until it is swirled a little if you swirl it too much all of your colors run together and become muddy. Then you press your card stock into the shaving cream pull it out  and then scrape off the shaving cream. Make sure to use the white fluffy kind of shaving cream in white...not the gel (I use and old gift card or credit card to scrape it) and the ink is left on your paper in a beautiful marbled design. Well when I spotted that canvas I wiped off the foam plate and flipped it over and started the process all over again on the back side of the plate. After the colors were swirled I pressed the plate onto the canvas, then scraped it... I kept on going and going until I had a beautiful backdrop. Ok so now what to do with it?  I rummaged through my stamp collection until I found just what I was looking for ... My Unity Stamps. I needed to put Donna Downey's large Poppy flowers on this canvas. I colored in the flowers using my Tim Holtz Distress markers. I had so much fun with this project. Now I had to wait a week for Lindsay to come home for the weekend from college... that was the hard part. I loosely tied a ribbon  on it so that I could attach the card. She was quite surprised and went crazy when she saw it.You can get this stamp set here and the sentiment here. Unity Stamps is having their 55% off sale over this Labor Day Weekend... Use the code LABOR55 and it will take 55% off of your entire order. They are also having reduced shipping rates and a gift with purchase. Go and check it out. 




No comments: